Monday, September 5, 2011

The Upland Labor Day Parade

Back when I was childless and living in Seattle, I had a bit of a girl crush on Liz Lemon. 30 Rock made me laugh.


But over the last year or two, I've grown tired of 30 Rock's snarky humor. And I have moved to Indiana. While Liz Lemon will always have a place in my heart, now I watch Parks and Recreation (which, incidentally, is set in Pawnee, Indiana), a show that has a kind of sweetness and sincerity to its humor. I am becoming a real fan of Leslie Knope.


In the Parks and Rec spirit, this year I want to embrace small town living and even, if I can, Indiana winters.

Labor Day weekend, in Upland, is the perfect time to embrace small town life.

Every year, the whole town turns into a big rummage sale for labor day. We spent several hours Saturday looking for treasures in our neighbors' front yards. Today we attended the town parade.


Let me tell you about this parade. Everyone is in it.



There are kids on bikes


and men slouching on all kinds of motorized vehicles.




Even lawn mowers.


There are politicians, and their fans.


This one was blasting "proud to be an American".


This one was walking along behind his van.


Then there is the popcorn queen.


And these men. What are they, you ask? I do not know.

But there is something awesome about them.


Our farmer was there, too, with a posterboard sign asking "Who grows your food?".


Rosie loved the parade. She loved catching the candy thrown from floats, and she loved going into Shiloh's backyard when everything was over and jumping on the trampoline. Owen loved snuggling in the chilly morning weather. And so did I.



7 comments:

Ramón said...

I think those guys are Shriners. I remember them from parades when I was a kid. A snippet from Wikipedia:

"Shriners often participate in local parades, sometimes as rather elaborate units: miniature vehicles in themes (all sports cars; all miniature 18-wheeler trucks; all fire engines, and so on), an "Oriental Band" dressed in cartoonish versions of Middle Eastern dress; pipe bands, drummers, motorcycle units, Drum and Bugle Corps, and even traditional brass bands."

Mom said...

I agree with Ramon-they're Shriners.

And I loved this post. Way to bloom where you're planted. (Isn't that such a mom thing to say? :-)

The Robbins & Co said...

wow, those pics were amazing. kind of reminds me of the small town i grew up in, except for the lawnmowers!

-bethany (friend of jessica ribera)

John Lepine said...

What a fun time. I think the lawnmowers are the best.

James Lepine said...

"Let me tell you about this parade. Everyone is in it."

Almost made me laugh out loud :)

I loved this, and I love you.

Katie said...

The lawn mowers are my favorite.

Also, I can't believe how chilly it is in Upland already!

Laura said...

Popcorn Queen! This is an award after my own heart.