Friday, December 10, 2010

upland

You know how in some movies, like Capote or Frozen River, they'll open with a sweeping shot of a barren, flat, wintry landscape, just to set the tone?

That's where I live now. In case you were wondering.

Also: Jack thinks he has grayed as much in this first semester at Taylor as Obama did in his first year in office.

I think you get the point.


Some mornings, even though the night before you made granola and quiche lorraine, you still feel a need to make banana crumb muffins. I can't explain it.



Here is Mom's granola recipe. It's great with a little Brown Cow Maple Cream Top yogurt.

Yummy Granola

3 cups rolled oats

¼ cup sesame seeds

½ cup chopped almonds

½ cup chopped pecans

¼ cup raw sunflower seeds

½ cup coconut

1 t. cinnamon

¼ t. nutmeg

1/8 t. salt



1/3 cup, plus 1 T. maple syrup or honey

1/3 cup, plus 1 T. coconut oil or butter

1 t. vanilla



Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. Mix liquid ingredients in small bowl. Pour wet over dry and mix well. Spread onto a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam. Bake at 325 for about 30 minutes, stirring every 12 minutes.


Cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator. Makes about 6 cups.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

That sounds good, I think I want to make some. Is it sweetened or unsweetened coconut?

Amy said...

Um....Mom?

I think she uses unsweetened. I actually left out the coconut when I made it last night.