Monday, March 14, 2011

Owen

Last night at dinner, Jack said that he's ready to commit to the name.

We've been holding out because nothing felt as right to us for this boy as Rosemary did for our baby girl, and in fact I told Jack that I really didn't have a preference among our top three names, and he could choose.

Boy names are hard.

We've chosen Owen Howard for our baby.

Of uncertain origin, Owen is most likely Celtic or Welsh, meaning "young warrior". Some positive associations we have with the name are John Owen, a Puritan writer; Owen Meany (title character of a John Irving novel); and, for me at least, Owen Wister (author of "The Virginian" and the father of western fiction). It was the 51st most popular baby boy's name in America last year.

Howard is Jack's mother's maiden name (Rosemary's middle name is Cross, my grandmother's maiden name). Howard is of Old English (or Norse, or German, or French) origin and means "noble watchman," "guardian," or "shepherd".

I finished Owen's quilt a while back, but we've been working on a few other things for his room. Using up fabric scraps, I've made a soft ball and a fleece-backed playmat. ONe of the fabric scraps had a pocket, so I made a few little toys to reside in the pocket.


Using cardstock, I made a mobile inspired by ideas here and here.


But best of all, Jack made one of his record mosaics. Using old records and record sleeves, he created this airplane on an old piece of plywood.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Good name. :)

And I LOVE what Jack made!!

Kristin said...

That mosaic is incredible! You two are so crafty and talented.

John Lepine said...

You guys make really cool things.
Owen Howard Peterson is a manly name.

Mom said...

Great post! Love the crafts and projects and the name.

James Lepine said...

i second everything said here.

Anna said...

Owen is a delightful name...and a makes for a great son.